Monday, November 16, 2009

Thanksgiving-It’s Right around the Corner

Thanksgiving-It’s Right around the Corner

As a child I have the most vivid memories of Thanksgiving. It’s really kind of weird because I feel like I my Thanksgiving memories are more vivid than other popular holidays. As a kid, I would wake up to the smell of a turkey cooking in the oven, cinnamon apple cider boiling on the stove, and sounds from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade on the television. I can picture myself running into the kitchen to greet my mom and take a peek at the “Tom the turkey”. I don’t know why, but my mom always called the turkey that. Ha. I would fix myself a glass of boiled custard or mom’s homemade apple cider, grab a handful of spicy and warm sausage balls, and camp out on the couch and watch the parade. It’s a solid childhood memory of mine. Add in…fighting with my brother over whether to watch the parade or the football game, sneaking with him and taking more sausage balls, getting in trouble for sneaking the sausage balls because those were for guest and not “us”, getting overwhelmed with excitement because all of our friends family were coming over. I always liked having Thanksgiving at our house. Ever since I was a child, I’ve always loved to cook. Thankfully, my parents are great cooks, so I’ve learned everything from them. They make the best signature dishes. My dad claims his asparagus pea casserole, green bean casserole, and the famous sausage balls. Mom takes over the turkey, the dressing, rolls, and sweet potato casserole, which is by far my favorite! Nothing beats its sweet rich flavor topped with the crunchy sugar coated pecans! Agh! Lately, I have been in charge of the spicy macaroni and cheese (mom has passed it down to me J), the chocolate pecan pie, and me and mom work together on the pumpkin pie together. Anyways, I’ve always enjoyed the holiday of thanks, from the cooking to the fellowship of family and friends. Most importantly, the reminder of thanks towards everything we have!
WORD COUNT: 339

No comments:

Post a Comment