Monday, October 26, 2009

Never Thought I’d Wear Greek Letters

Let’s be completely honest, we all have our own opinions and stereotypes of those sorority girls and frat boys. I know I did before I became a member of a sorority. At first, I automatically thought that sorority girls were nothing but a bunch of attractive slutty spoiled brats that partied all the time. I remember before graduating high school, many girls would talk about how they were excited to rush in college. I just sat back and thought, “OK, you enjoy being hazed and humiliated to have a hundred so called sisters”. Greek life never interested me until I attended the U of M’s Frosh Camp Greek Session. It was here, that my opinion of Greek people did a complete 180. I learned that at the U of M, ninety percent of campus leadership positions were held by Greek people. Greeks had the highest G.P.A.’s. They contributed many hours to community service. The list can go on and on. When I decided to go Greek, I knew what sorority appealed to me the most. It wasn’t a hard decision at all. I feel in love with this particular one, because I was inspired by these women. It’s like they were everywhere on campus! I meet them as Orientation Guides, at Frosh Camp as counselors and a part of the executive board, members of Up ‘til Dawn, the president of S.G.A. and so much more! So these women excelled in leadership but it was more than that. There sisterhood was contagious! They were genuine and really cared for each other. I was so honored to become one of their sisters. I wanted to join a sorority that held the same values and beliefs as me. What was really special is that these girls made me feel so special and wanted. Back to stereotyping, going through recruitment was such a wonderful experience because I realized that my sorority really cared for me. They wanted me as a sister, not because of my resume, but because of who I am. I believe that my sorority serves as a personal development for me. I have learned so much from it and I have only been a member for a year. I’ve learned how to manage time better, lead in an effective way, develop organization skills, how to represent myself in a respectable manor, and I could go on and on. Most importantly, my sisters have taught me about the life I want to live and the ideals I want to attain as a woman of Alpha Gamma Delta.
Word Count:425

No comments:

Post a Comment