Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Growing Up is Tough

Ever since I was a little girl, I have always wanted to be a “movie star”. Pretending is a favorite child hood memory of mine. I can honestly say I was a very imaginative kid. My parents claim that they never needed to go out of our home for entertainment because they had my brother and I. Yes, my brother was also very fond of acting. It was he who inspired to become involved with theatre in high school. I would always go to his plays that he performed in and was just taken away by the world of theatre. When I entered high school, I was so excited to begin my acting career. But I learned that acting was more than being on stage and being in the lime light of everyone. It was creating character far from your own, experimenting with new ideas, and learning the meaning of professionalism, the importance of unity with your peers, communication, and so much more. I learned that in the world of theatre, it’s more than just acting. I was lucky enough to have a teacher who taught about the equal balance of “actors” and “techies”. Also, that there is no such thing as a star or an extra. Every part is important. Everything on stage has a character and a meaning. Every move you make as a character has motivation behind it. All of these ideas and more make up the complete meaning of theatre. It was here, at Bolton High School, that I developed a passion for theatre. Now, when graduation drew nearer, I had a decision to make, whether to continue with theatre and make it my official career or to become a hospitality and resort management major. I choose the business route. It’s not that I gave up on theatre. I just wanted to keep it an enjoyment, rather than a way to pay the bills. Am I ignoring my passion by doing this? Have I done any theatre since high school? No. Other than claiming the role of an audience member, I have yet to return to theatre. It’s hard because I do miss it, but these are the decisions we have to make in our lives. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy what I study now. I just felt like it was time to be practical and not day dream about “making it” the rest of my life. It’s hard knowing what the right decision is. I hope I have made it and never regret it. If I were to go into theatre, I would love to be a high school theatre teacher. Therefore, I could share my passion with students, like my teacher once did for me. Right now I’m on the road to becoming a special events coordinator or something along those lines. I like my major because I’ve always been interested in the tourism industry. I know through time and prayer, God will show me what His plan for me is.

No comments:

Post a Comment