Monday, November 30, 2009

Hamlet

Reading Hamlet so far is not too bad. I’ll admit I have to research it sometimes because I am not a Shakespeare pro, but to those who are, more power to you. I’ll be honest, at first I did think I had read it; little did I know I was getting it confused with Macbeth…oops! Ha! Anyways, I really like the suspenseful and mysterious plot of the play. I have never read it before or see any theatre productions of it, so it’s a fresh read for me. It’s pretty dark, which is nice to read occasionally. For awhile, I always fell in the traps of reading the same types of books. Personally, I find reading Shakespeare tough and confusing. Therefore, it just becomes boring because I don’t know what’s going on. So, as long as I put forth a bit more effort towards understanding what is happening, and then usually I am pretty entertained. Back to Hamlet, I can’t imagine putting myself in the place of the actual character Hamlet. To have your father die and then see your mother marry your uncle not even two months after your father’s death is very sad and troubling. Plus the fact, that a ghost comes to tell you that your uncle was, in fact, the murder of your father and is now the seducer of your mother. I can imagine myself losing sight of what is good in life and where to go from here. Would I lose trust in all of my companions as well? I mean if you can trust your family, then who is there to trust? However, some people do not have trust in their family. But in this case, I believe Hamlet held close relations with them. I am looking forward to finishing this play and seeing how the plot and conclusion unfolds.

1 comment:

  1. It's a pretty awesome play, huh? I know everyone said that they didn't like it yesterday in class, but I hope that was just people not being willing to speak up.

    Shakespeare is challenging, in part, I think, because of the cadence, the iambic pentameter. I really do think, though, that once you get into it and "listen" while you read, it starts to kind of unveil itself. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete